Day 14-Listen and Obey



  So Samuel said: “Has the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, As in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, And to heed than the fat of rams.  1 Samuel 15:22

God wants you to delight in Him by listening and obeying, so He can give you the desires of your heart.  Our scripture today tells us that religious sacrifices and empty rituals are not what pleases Him.  For example, if the reason you are fasting is out of religious sacrifice, you're just on a self-imposed diet.
The word heed means attentiveness, to pay attention to, or give attention to.  We are to be attentive to obeying His instructions.  We should be taking action, not be passive about our obedience.  Have you heard something from God and responded with a Yes, God, I will!? Then when it comes to taking action, have gotten complacent?  I know I have. This will delay your dreams from coming true, but God doesn't give up on them.
Think of God as a perfect GPS.  He has the trip planned to get you to where He wants you to be so He can fulfill the desires of your heart.  His way is the quickest and smoothest road. He knows your present location and has your destination planned.  As you travel the route, He gives instructions to you.  He tells you where to turn, what detours you need to take, and any hazards in your way.  He'll show you the safest places to stop and rest.  He'll guide you to the best restaurants, and will surprise you with special treats. If you follow those instructions, you will arrive safely and on time at your destination.  If you trust in His guidance, you can relax and enjoy the ride.
Sometimes you may get distracted and don't hear the instructions.  Or, you may hear them, but decide that you don't like the looks of that road, and decide you will try another route.  Then He has to recalibrate and get you back on to the correct path.
You can fast and pray, sing along with praise music during the journey.  You can sense God's presence, see His Glory and receive angelic help along the way.  But if you haven't listened and obeyed, you are still going in the wrong direction.
God has placed desires in your heart that you have not uncovered yet.  The instructions you receive may not make much sense to you right now.  There was a time in my life where I was offered a part-time job.  I was working full time and had three small children at home.  I didn't really want another job, but I prayed and felt I was to take it.  I did and it lead to a new career that lasted for 25 years.  Managing a retail store was way above what I could imagine myself doing, but it fulfilled the desire of my heart to financially support my family.   Just recently, I felt the Lord telling me to get the house cleaned.  I heard Him but kept finding excuses to put it off.  When I found out my family was coming the next day, I had to scramble to get everything done.  My day would have been much smoother if I had listened and been quick to obey.  I am sure you have testimonies like this in your life also.
Has God told you to do something that you have brushed aside, postponed, or even ignored?  It is never too late to recalibrate.
STOP
LISTEN to His recalibrated route. Be prepared to backtrack a little or even a lot.
OBEY His instructions, take action now and don't delay


Take a few minutes and think back over the last year. 

 Was there something God has asked you to do that you have not done? 

 Allow the Holy Spirit to recalibrate your route and make plans to do it.  It may be the very thing that is holding up your dream.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1-His Perfect Plan

Day 3-Decorated with Salvation